Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A Life of Gratitude...


I am a big fan and avid reader of the Zen Habits blog. Today's blog post really hit a nerve in a good way. It made me thing back to my first days in RS, and some of the people who helped me along the way. Some I don't remember their names, line the girl who saw me wandering around the dwarf mine in bronze pl8 and took the time to make me a set of full iron. At the time, I though it was the coolest thing in the game, and that she was the coolest person for doing it.

Another player Oooorgle really stepped in and helped me out in my training and questing. He used to live in Fally 2 selling hallys. I remember buying my first one from him. I promptly took it to wildy and got pked the next day, and PMed him to buy another. From that point, he helped out a lot, from making me glories form d stones (free enchanting to boot) to general training advice. One of the high lights of my RS time was the guided trip through the Underground Pass. I had no clue about it until Oooorgle told me about Regicide and the hally shop. His cooked rabbits were a life saver on that quest as well. Thanks again for the good times Oooorgle.

I know it is clichet, but the olden days were the best days for RS. Clan chat is really doing a number on the community, but that is a topic for another post. Here is the post I am talking about on Zen Habits: Three Truths to Help You Create a Life of Gratitude, and:

The Zen Habits/RS Investor Gratefulness Challenge (paraphrased and adapted to RS from the Zen Habits Challenge)

Fellow readers of Zen Habits (RS Investor), I’d like to leave you with a challenge today. This is not a theoretical challenge–it’s designed to be quite practical.

Over the 30 days, I would like to challenge you to create your own in game life of gratitude in a way that is meaningful to you, and to begin practicing acts of gratefulness more than you have ever done before.

I’ll be doing it along with you, and so will a lot of other readers. It’s always good to be specific, so here are some ideas… but don’t let these limit you.

* Spend three minutes every morning writing down a few things you are grateful for that day
* Devote 15-20 minutes to your friends list and thinking of it as a gratefulness list. (One tip: think both about who you are grateful for knowing and also how you can show that gratitude)
* Make it a habit to encourage at least one person every day
* Review your finances to make sure they are in order and aligned with your values, basically re-evaluate how much that in game gold really means
* Plan something fun, like a trip to somewhere you’ve never been - There are some really cool forgotten places in RS, like the Fisher Kings castle.
* For one day (or more), say something positive to every person you interact with

The second part of the Zen Habits/RS Investor Gratefulness Challenge is for you to pass on the challenge to others.

If you blog, post on forums, or attend clan events, let others know. I know that there are a few people who helped me a lot who I probably didn't thank enough, but with a bit of practice we can all get better in this area, and hopefully make the game a little bit better place.

ps and a special thanks to Necro Brawler for the use of his pic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is greatly appreciated the nice comments about me made above. I am blushing that you actually to the time to post about me I remember you and the underground pass :)... I still play alot, contact me when if you are able. OOOORGLE.