Thursday, May 1, 2008

Other gaming blogs

I follow a few other blogs, and today when I powered up my Google reader (if you don't have it, bet it and subscribe to my blog first thing). Two very interesting posts that kind of apply to RS were out there, and a third that has nothing to do with RS, but I just felt how stupid it was and wanted to comment about it.


1. The first one is Some Remarks about drop rates form wow insider. I find that a lot of scapers don't have the slightest idea of how drop rates relate to them. The drop rate itself (like 1 in 1600 kills for a d chain drop from dusties) is not the only part of the equation. For example, I some times see lvl 60s wielding rune halberds from a save spot killing the black demons in the Edgeville dungeon when I run past to charge air orbs. Why they are killing them is obvious, the drops are better when you kill high level monsters. The problem with this is that you take forever to kill one. Killing something just because you can is no reason at all.

Another example is the dolt who came to experiments when I was there to train range. He was level 1 range, and hit constant zeros. It took 30 minutes to convince him that he got zero XP every time he hit a zero and should be training on chickens, cows, or anything that had a def level low enough for him to get some range XP. Again, just because you can is no justification for
doing something.

2. The 10 commandments of Altitis from Waaagh!. This was an interesting read, and I for one have a pure mage alt, and I know a lot of others do too. One of the commandments that stood out was #5. I know that my guildmates have a ton of alts, and when they log into clan chat I never know who they really are. No need to be kama 1, kama 2, and kama 3, but you can do what a buddy of mine did. His main was posman, and he had posranger, a range pure, that he used frequently. It was always easy to know it was him.

#6 was also a good one. Doing the shield of Arrav for the other side was a pretty interesting experience, and I had always wanted to go in there. ANd the following quote is great:

Just grin, emoticon a grin so they know you’re grinning, and embrace the fun and joy of being diagnosed with one of the most enjoyable diseases an MMO gamer can have!

3. The last part of this post is from a blog i subscribe to called unclutterer. The entire thing is dedicated to reducing clutter, and the blog posts are great. Lately though, they keep making these stupid posts titled 'a year ago on unclutterer'. They are two liners with no writing at all, only links to year old crusty posts.

Why do I have such a problem with this? BECAUSE THEY CLUTTER MY READER! They waste my time, cause me to click more, and aren't wanted. I mentioned that ion a comment and the author had the nerve to email me back telling me that she had more readers of the older posts than the new ones. Duh! Then she said, "I hope you find the A Year Ago This Week posts to be less offensive." What the heck is that supposed to mean? I wasn't offended at all, but now I am.

If you have a blog called unclutterer, then don't create clutter. Bottom line there. Thats all for today folks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree about drop rates. WoW has a really all-encompassing view on how important these "small details" are to them. The same is relevant in RS.

Turbo said...

I hear people complaining that they haven't had a barrows drop in xx number of runs, or that they killed 400 dusties. Many people don't understand that if the d chain drop rate is in fact 1 in 1,600 dust devil kills, you still aren't guaranteed one if you kill 1,600 dusties.

On top of that there is a chance that someone will get one on their first kill, and that some people will never get any. It is all about the odds.