Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Back Office Stuff

Sorry for the dearth of posts this week. I had some problems with the RSS feed on my blog and that soaked up a bit of my time. I finally have it limping along, and hopefully it works. If you have problems let me know. I wouldn't have known if a Guild mate hadn't mentioned it.

I am also working on getting my blog it's own domain name! We will see how that goes, and I have my fingers crossed that if it happens the transition will go smoothly.

Now for the meat...

No RS tips today, but I came across this and though I should mention it. There is a company out there making bots that work for WOW and they are in a law suit with Blizzard. I do not support cheating or breaking the rules in any way, but this was interesting enough to mention.

Interest group speaks up against Blizzard on Glider case

One thing that WOW has and supports are (some) add ons. I do wish that RS would allow some non-Jagex coded software to be used in game. I liken the example of selling Lindens in Second Life. Is it bad to do it there? No it is perfectly acceptable behavior. Using a tool or a money to get ahead is not inherently bad. For every college kid who is low on money and high on time, there is a 35 year old guy who values his 1 hour of gaming a night and has the cash to pay for the better things. A well regulated gold trade run by Jagex itself would eliminate all of the bad associations with gold traders.

Back on the point though, I would like to be able to pull down a menu, and click once for a certain task. For example, bank, take out 14 herbs and 14 vials in one click, or cast bind and fire bolt in succession in one click. Even the ability to map certain things to certain keys. Keyboard mouse is great and perfectly legal, but it has limitations. The game is moving in that direction with cook X, crush X, and so on and so forth, so why not make it a bit more open and see what kinds of emergent game play develop?

1 comment:

MyNameIsKir said...

Turbo- I've read very few of your posts so far and am already a fan. But, I would like to make a solid point about buying game gold; it messes up the game's economy. Most free MMOs (and some buyable ones) have virtual currency and items to sell for real money. With all sorts of players getting currency from nowhere (game-wise), there is serious inflation that throws the game into chaos, especially for players who do not buy these things. RuneScape is very unique because of this, and many MMO players I know love RuneScape for its balanced and lifelike economy. Yes, the new trading system got rid of mini buisnesses, but RuneScape still has the best free game economy out there.