Thursday, May 8, 2008

Compound Time

I am a huge fan of the book Four Hour Work Week, and somewhat a fan of the author Timothy Ferris, enough so that I read his blog whenever he updates it. Today Tim posted something that really got me thinking about in its relationship to gaming and RS in general. Today's post was titled "Compound Time" (wonder where I have seen that before).

The premise of the post is summed up well in this quote:
my conclusion is that the value of ones time could experience a significant gain, and perhaps a compounding effect over time, given an investment of [that present-state] time in knowledge, skill or other capacity, and a reinvestment of future gains (just like currency).
Now, that might not make much sense to many of you, but in reality, it it right on. The easiest example I can think of is melee stats. Think about if you only trained attack. No def and no str. This might be a good strategy for a lower level pure, but what good is it for? As you level up, your levels will come slower and slower. With high attack, you can hit more often, but with no strength, you will hit for lower damage on average, increasing your training time significantly.


This might have been a good strategy for an all or nothing pure back in the good old days of pvp wildy, although I don't think so, but with todays Runescape? There isn't much benefit.

The flip side here is training and using that to compound your future training. This is applicable to just about everything in the game. When doing slayer or training melee, you will get drops. What you do with those drops really had a huge effect on you other skills. The big ones are summoning, herblore and farming. Do you keep your seeds/herbs or charms? If not, then you should know that you will have to buy them back/or obtain them again at some point.

I think many people lose track of the goal when they do purely profit minded things, like picking flax to sell. At some point they will need that flax (or some other material) to train crafting. It might be good for the short term, but are you shooting your long term training goals in the foot? I think so, and that post on Tim's blog just re-enforces that.

What do you guys think?

3 comments:

Starsaber said...

So basically, you're promoting a DIY (do it yourself) mindset. I follow that for the most part, but if it's going to be a long time before you work on that skill again (or get to the level where you can use the item), the immediate gain of money can be more useful.

Turbo said...

That is 100% right as well. There is no reason to keep torstol or dwarf weed if you have only level 30 herblore. First off you aren't going to be able to use it for a while, second, you aren't ever going to accumulate that much to make a dent in your training at the level you will be when you can actually use it.

(did that make any sense?)

You mention the immediate gain of money, but I was trying to get the point across that money for money's sake is not really a means to an end. What I mean by that is that you shouldn't cut all the teaks you need to raise construction. There you need to buy supplies, and you need to make money somehow for that.

So, there is an immediate need for money, but when making money, you should think about the future consequences of those actions. In the end time is money.

Starsaber said...

I agree with that too. Right now, I have a bit more cash on hand than usual (4.5M) since I'm F2P. On my last day of members, I sold a lot of easily replaced stuff that would just be taking up bank space with what I'm working on in F2P (armor, weapons, vials, etc).

One of the things I say a lot in regards to skilling v moneymaking is "Money is temporary, skills are forever"